25th April

I had waited a long time for yesterday finally to happen.  Comma butterfly in north Scotland.


One hundred years ago it was a very scarce species and virtually confined to the English/Welsh border where the caterpillars fed on cultivated hops.  Then (perhaps under insecticide pressure) it began using nettle and the Comma's range expanded.  I saw my first one in Great Yarmouth in 1947 when I was eight years old.    They have been reported in north Scotland for the past two years so yesterday was inevitable.  The one in the picture was at Cawdor near Nairn.

On Sunday while my wife went for a significant walk (my bad knees limit my mobility) I chased the long-staying Slavonian Grebe, one of Scotland's rarest birds, in Burghead Harbour.  This one has been photographed by all and sundry countless times, but I couldn't resist one more shot.


I end on something bizarre.  A light switch.


Spectrum from a hanging ornament just happened to light the light!

Jack






Comments

Popular posts from this blog